Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Step 3 - Pumps and things

So now it is time to continue building our "easy" aquaponics system.



You will need a good quality pump. Find a submersible pump that has at least a 1meter head (head is the maximum height that your pump can push water). I prefer a pump that has a 2 meter or more head. I just feel that way the pump does not have to work so hard (that is just my personal preference).


The flow rate of your pump is also important because too little and your bell siphon may have trouble starting and too much and it can’t stop. You can use a 22mm PVC pipe in the centre of you bell siphon instead of the 25mm if you have a pump with a low flow rate. I started with a 22mm piece because you can easily go bigger but it is a real pain to go smaller once you have a 25mm hole in the grow bed. It turns out the 25mm is better suited to my pump size.

You will also need plastic piping to get the water from your pump to your grow bed. I got mine from the building supplies shop that sold me the pump. I attached a piece of 22mm PVC pipe to the outlet end. This helps me to move it, the PVC pipe is nice and hard and I can just jam it into the grow bed without digging out any of the gravel. Check out the video clip here.

- Grant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Part 2 of your bell siphon video does not work. Will you upload it again?