Search This Blog

Friday, October 23, 2009

Disaster strikes again



Everybody you talk to in aquaponics will tell you to have a backup plan for when your pump fails. Everybody like myelf thinks they will get to it when they have the time or the money, and end up forgetting about it.

Well last night my submersible pump failed, the scary part is that one of the divisions of our company sells online backups for your data. Here I was, 8pm in the evening, failed pump in hand and all the stores are closed. I don't even know anybody who could lend me a spare pump.

I can't tell you how thankful I am for the 50 bucks I spent on a small air pump and an air stone. That was the only thing keeping my fish alive. I had to fill the growbed by hand and leave if full for a few hours before draining it through the syphon on my way to bed.

So almost first thing this morning I was at the hardware store to purchase a new pump. I spent about 35 minute just reading the lables(a habit I got from my wife when she buys food - or just about anything) on each type of pump. Finally I came across a box that was help together by sellotape and was priced ar 80 bucks and when they rang it up at the till it was only 70 bucks. I told them it was cheeper than the shelf price and they said because it was the last one it was priced to sell.

It turns out that this water fountain(pump with fountain atachments) was missing the foytain parts but was basically brand new. I installed the pump and after a few minor adjustments it was up and running and all is well again. Anyway you can check out thevideo clips here.

- Grant
ps I did not forget about the diy guide. I will post the next steps soon, but you can bet I will be mentioning the backup pump in the equipment list

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Quantum Binary Signals

Get professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone every day.

Follow our trades today and gain up to 270% daily.